22 February 2012

Self-Portrait


I used to pretend that I could draw
by taking up paper and pen
And tracing the lines out of coloring books
and checking back now and again
To see if I'd gotten the figures just right--
if they looked just the same in the end
As the pictures I saw in the coloring book,
just traced on my paper in pen.

          But when I was alone, and I had time to spare,
          And no one was watching, so I didn't care
          If my rainbows and horses had just the right flair,
          I would trace on my page something out of thin air!

When I pause to review all the pictures I've traced
from a book to my paper with pen,
They look mighty fine, but I know they aren't mine,
and I check back again, and again,
To see if I've left a small trace of myself--
it's there, but I find in the end,
The pictures look more like some coloring book
Just traced on my paper with pen.

          Now when I'm alone, and I have time to spare,
          If someone comes watching, I'll try not to care,
          For my horses and rainbows will have their own flair
          And a whole lot of me plucked out of thin air.